By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Philippines health officials report a decrease in the 2021 case fatality rate (CFR) among COVID-19 cases despite cases increasing by three fold, comparing 2021 and 2020 cases.
The Department of Health (DOH) data showed that the CFR of the country in 2021 was at 1.47% as compared to 2.47% in 2020. On the other hand, the DOH recorded a total case count of 472,205 at the end of 2020 versus a total of 1,929,711 from January 1 to September 21, 2021, which accounts to a 309% increase in cases in 2021 compared to 2020. Among all the regions, NCR which has the highest number of cases in 2021 had the lowest CFR at less than 1%.
“The decrease shown in the national case fatality rate was multifactorial. One of the factors that the Department is considering is the overall improvement of the country’s healthcare system over the past year and its ability to cope with the higher demand for clinical assessment, referral, and management of cases,” said DOH Spokesperson Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.
“The COVID-19 vaccination program also played a role in the decrease. Vaccines continue to provide the promised protection against more severe COVID-19 and deaths. Moreover, this was the effect of the strategies and behavioral-change campaigns implemented as early as August 2020 to mitigate the risk of transmission and slow down the spread of COVID-19,” explained Usec. Vergeire.
The DOH added that the CFR among senior citizens in 2021 was two times lower compared to 2020.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, a total of 2,417,419 infections have been reported in the Philippines, including 37,228 fatalities.
- Singapore reports rise in COVID-19 cases as they seek to live with the virus
- Arizona West Nile virus tally leads the country in 2021
- Brazil: Spotted fever death reported in Rio de Janeiro state child
- Rabies alert issued for Weston, Florida area
- DRC meningitis outbreak: WHO provides more details
- Dominican Republic: A dozen children admitted to Santo Domingo hospital with dengue
- Bangladesh nears 16K dengue cases, Blood donations needed for platelets
- Portugal is ‘at the end of a pandemic phase’: Chief epidemiologist
- Japan reports falling COVID-19 cases, Down 63 percent in 3 weeks