By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
One week after the Philippines Health Secretary, Francisco Duque III declared a national dengue epidemic in the country when the tally was 146,062 cases, health officials now report an additional 20,000-plus cases.
According to the DOH-Epidemiology Bureau, about 167,606 dengue cases were recorded from January 1 to July 27, 2019.
DOH Undersecretary Eric Domingo said Region 4-A (Calabarzon), Region 4-B (Mimaropa), Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, and Regions 5 (Bicol), 6 (Western Visayas), 7 (Central Visayas), 8 (Eastern Visayas), 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula), 10 (Northern Mindanao), and 12 (Soccsksargen), remain in the epidemic threshold.
“These cases equate to a 98 percent increase in January to July 2019 compared to the same period last year. Dengue, as we know, has ups and downs, it usually goes with two years low burden and the third year becomes a high burden, and 2019 is proving to be that,” Domingo said.
In addition, Domingo says increased dengue cases can be expected in September and October.