On Monday, Rio de Janeiro recorded the first death by monkeypox in the state.
The patient, a 33-year-old man, was hospitalized at Hospital Ferreira Machado, in Campos dos Goytacazes, in the north of Rio de Janeiro. The Municipal Health Department of Campos reported that the victim had low immunity and comorbidities, which worsened the disease.
The patient had complications and needed to be transferred to the ICU bed on the 19th. Campos is monitoring people who had contact with the patient, but so far, no one has shown signs and symptoms of infection by the virus.
The State Health Department of Rio reports 611 confirmed cases and 61 probable cases of monkeypox in the state as of August 29.
- Texas: Anthrax reported in a barbary sheep in Uvalde County
- Nigeria monkeypox: Half the total confirmed cases reported in 2022
- Polio case reported in Pakistan, the 15th case of the year
- Panama: Authorities on alert for an ‘explosion of severe dengue cases’
- Toronto: Meningococcal disease outbreak affects three, one fatality
- Iraq: Cholera outbreak tops 1,000 cases
- Brazil: More than 10,000 dengue cases reported in Tocantins capital