According to the Public Health Center (PHC) of Ukraine today, since the beginning of the week, six people with a diagnosis of botulism have been hospitalized in different regions of Ukraine – Volyn, Chernihiv, Zhytomyr, Rivne, Kherson and Kyiv.
Among the causes of the disease, experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention point to the consumption of fried and dried river fish of their own cooking or unknown production and home canned food.
Symptoms of botulism often appear gradually, without sharp rises in temperature. Later there is a visual impairment – one of the first signs of botulism. At the same time there is thirst, dryness of the mucous membranes, swallowing disorders, may change the tone of voice. Patients complain of a feeling of “lump” in the throat, pain when swallowing, sore throat.
Neurological symptoms last for several days and are accompanied by a general toxic syndrome – patients complain of severe headache, dizziness, insomnia, general weakness, fever. In severe cases, patients are concerned about the feeling of shortness of breath. Respiratory failure develops, which is the cause of death in botulism.
At the slightest suspicion of botulism, see a doctor immediately!
- Monkeypox cases in England top 500, WHO to assess if it’s a public health emergency of international concern
- Germany: Borna virus detected in Bavaria
- More than 1,000 genes linked to the development of severe COVID-19: International research team
- Philippines: Nearly 1,300 dengue cases reported on Leyte island
- Davao City confirms chikungunya cases, Intensifies mosquito control efforts
- Brazil dengue death toll tops 500 this year
- Vietnam reports more than 52,000 dengue fever cases, Increasing day by day
- Malaysia reports declining trend of HFMD cases for two consecutive weeks, tally total now 96,000
- Minnesota measles: Two cases confirmed in Hennepin County