By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The number of wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases reported in Afghanistan has risen to 26 after officials reported seven new cases during the past week. According to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, the cases were reported as follows– two each in Badghis and Hilmand and one each in Farah, Hirat and Uruzgan.
In neighboring Pakistan, two wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases was reported: one each in Balochistan and Punjab province. The number of cases reported in 2020 stands at 55.
Globally, 81 WPV1 cases have been reported to date in 2020.
In addition to the nine additional WPV1 cases, 26 circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) were reported in three African countries–Democratic Republic of the Congo (13), Burkina Faso (5) and Côte d’Ivoire (8).
- Plague case reported in Mongolia, Linked to eating marmot
- Philippines reports additional 1,000 COVID-19 cases, Behavior change encouraged
- Brazil COVID-19 cases top 1.4 million, Yanomami villages get help
- Saudi Arabia: COVID-19 and Hajj, CDC recommendations
- Ebola outbreak: Two additional cases reported, Brings total to 30
- Costa Rica: Dengue cases more than double 2019 numbers
- Anthrax: Single dose intranasal vaccine, NasoShield, Phase 1b clinical trial