Officials in Banteay Meanchey province report starting a chikungunya virus (CHIKV) awareness campaign this weekend after reporting an outbreak in Poipet city.
To date, 160 infections have been reported by authorities.
Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes. It causes fever and severe joint pain, which is often debilitating. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue, and rash.
The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue and Zika, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where they are common. As there is no cure, treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
- Canada Confirms Cases in the Mystery Salmonella Outbreak
- Philippines coronavirus cases top 80,000, Pooled testing and Overseas Filipinos
- Candida auris: Low risk for healthy people to acquire during travel, according to study
- SARS-CoV-2 infection of non-neuronal cells, not neurons, may drive loss of smell in patients with COVID-19
- South Dakota reports 1st human West Nile virus case
- Hong Kong reports 133 more COVID-19 cases, SARS-CoV-2 positive cat
- Arizona: Human plague case reported in Navajo County