By NewsDesk @bactiman63
Since the beginning of the year, French health officials report (computer translated) 1184 cases of measles through May 22. Of this total, 378 (32%) were hospitalized (16 in intensive care), 94 cases (8%) had complications of pneumonia, 2 cases of encephalitis including 1 death (subacute encephalitis in an immunocompromised person).
This total year to date is less than the same period last year (2306 cases).
The circulation of the measles virus has intensified, with more than 100 cases reported in each of the last two weeks.
About nine out of 10 cases were unvaccinated or undervaccinated, according to officials.
The University Hospital of Rennes in Ille-et-Vilaine has reported seven cases of fish tapeworm in the past two years, according to a ledauphine.com report (computer translated).
This is after not having seen a case in two decades.
The fish tapeworm, aka Diphyllobothrium latum, is linked to sushi and raw fish.
- Malaria-free: Argentina and Algeria certified by WHO
- Chikungunya vaccine candidate update: Valneva reports further positive results
- Measles case reported in Keene, NH child
- Del Monte Veggie Tray Salmonella Outbreak
- Malaysia MOH squashes monkeypox rumors on social media
- Ebola: Where is the coverage on cable news?
- Ontario: Increase in HIV and invasive Group A strep cases reported in Hamilton