Here is a look at some interesting infectious disease and health news, opinion and research reported across the globe:
Rockland County Measles outbreak
As of April 12, 2019, there are 184 confirmed reported cases of measles in Rockland County.
Eye care for Ebola survivors
In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, local ophthalmologists are learning to provide specialized care to Ebola survivors.
Extragenital Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Among Community Venue–Attending Men Who Have Sex with Men — Five Cities, United States, 2017
Men who have sex with men (MSM) are disproportionately affected by sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Most MSM STD prevalence data are from STD and HIV clinic attendees.
‘Superbugs’ found on many hospital patients’ hands and what they touch most often
Hospitals have put a lot of effort into encouraging good hand hygiene among their staff, but new findings suggest a new frontier for preventing transmission.
New focus on intestinal schistosomiasis: Emergence of Biomphalaria snails and transmission of Schistosoma mansoni in Lake Malawi
A first report of Biomphalaria in Lake Malawi, with confirmed emergence of intestinal schistosomiasis in Mangochi District, Malawi, is described here. The findings highlight autochthonous transmission of Schistosoma mansoni in Lake Malawi and revising and updating health and travel advice given to shoreline community residents and tourists who use the lake is recommended.
- NYC measles and mandatory vaccinations
- Ebola update: Case count, ‘Not a Public Health Emergency of International Concern’
- Salmonella Outbreak From Watermelon, Honeydew, and Cantaloupe Sickens 93 People
- E. coli outbreak linked to ground beef, 3rd largest reported in 20 years
- Plague case reported in ranch dog from Quay County, New Mexico
- Reunion dengue cases near 5,000 in Q1 2019