In 2006, a team from Johns Hopkins University which included Tom Inglesby, Jennifer Nuzzo and the late, great smallpox eradicator and former dean of what is now the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, D.A. Henderson put out the masterful, Disease Mitigation Measures in the Control of Pandemic Influenza in response to the then recent idea that quarantines, closures, and measured lockdowns are mitigations that should be used.
The brilliant disease detective and his team wrote about lockdowns: It is difficult to identify circumstances in the past half-century when large-scale quarantine has been effectively used in the control of any disease. The negative consequences of large-scale quarantine are so extreme.. that this mitigation measure should be eliminated from serious consideration.
They also discussed other mitigations like school closures, social distancing, etc. It’s worth the read.
Interestingly, a team from Johns Hopkins University just published a study that concluded lockdowns have done little to reduce COVID deaths (lockdowns in Europe and the U.S. reduced COVID-19 deaths by 0.2 percent), but have had “devastating effects” on economies and numerous social ills.
“We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” the authors wrote in the report.
Lockdowns were damaging to the economy, schooling, and more. They are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.
This study comes out approximately 1 1/2 years after Dr. Anthony Fauci (supported by the pro-lockdown “experts” on Twitter) said, “the fact that we shut down when we did and the rest of the world did, has saved hundreds of millions of infections and millions of lives”.
“One of the problems we face in the United States is that unfortunately, there is a combination of an anti-science bias that people are — for reasons that sometimes are, you know, inconceivable and not understandable — they just don’t believe science and they don’t believe authority,” Fauci said.
Dr. Henderson, how we needed your wisdom.
- Moderna COVID vaccine, Spikevax, receives full FDA approval
- Paraguay officials emphasize importance of early detection of leprosy
- Nigeria says 14 of 20 NTDs are endemic in country
- Bolivia: Possible outbreak of leishmaniasis investigated in Villa Montes
- Malaysia reports lowest dengue cases and deaths in a decade
- Canada: E. coli O157 infections linked to kimchi reported in Alberta and Saskatchewan
- Sweden health officials do not recommend COVID-19 general vaccination for children aged 5-11
- Nigeria reports 74 additional confirmed Lassa fever cases
- Mississippi reports 1st human West Nile virus case in January