With so much attention on the measles outbreak in the northwest, it became easy to overlook the measles outbreaks we were monitoring prior to the New Year.
In Rockland County, NY, the outbreak total continues to rise and as of today, the total measles cases has reached 128 since late September.
In Brooklyn, there have been 64 confirmed cases of measles in the Orthodox Jewish community since October. The bulk of the cases have been reported in Borough Park and Williamsburg.
The initial child with measles was unvaccinated and acquired measles on a visit to Israel, where a large outbreak of the disease is occurring. Since then, there have been additional children from Brooklyn who were unvaccinated and acquired measles while in Israel. Children who did not travel were also infected in Brooklyn or Rockland County.
Lastly, two additional measles cases were confirmed in Clark County, WA, bringing the outbreak total to 38 since the beginning of the year. 34 of the cases were not vaccinated.
- Measles case confirmed in Champaign area, University of Illinois issues alert
- Atlanta: Two measles cases treated this month, according to report
- Measles in Oregon: Case confirmed in Multnomah County
- Measles: Washington Gov. Jay Inslee declares a state of emergency
- Washington measles: Confirmed case in King County