New York City health officials reported an additional 44 measles cases in the past week, bringing the outbreak total to 329 in Brooklyn and Queens since October. To date, 62 cases have been reported in April alone.
New cases were reported in Williamsburg (39), Borough Park (3), Midwood/Marine Park (1) and Far Rockaway (1).
All but 45 cases are reported in children under 18 years, with 56 cases in infants under one year of age.
More than a week ago, the Health Commissioner ordered every adult and child who lives, works or resides in select ZIP codes and has not received the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine to be vaccinated.
Five mothers in New York City have filed a lawsuit seeking to vacate orders requiring measles vaccinations for people living in ZIP codes that have seen an outbreak of the disease.
The lawsuit claims the orders are arbitrary, capricious and unconstitutional because “there is insufficient evidence of a measles epidemic or dangerous outbreak to justify the respondents’ extraordinary measures.”
The lead lawyer on the suit is Manhattan personal injury lawyer Robert Krakow. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is also listed as one of the lawyers.
In near-by Rockland County, NY, there are 190 confirmed reported cases of measles as of today.
Officials trying to contain a measles outbreak in Rockland County on Tuesday ordered all unvaccinated people exposed to the disease barred from public gathering places, including houses of worship, for up to three weeks.
From January 1 to April 11, 2019, 555 individual cases of measles have been confirmed in 20 states. This is the second-greatest number of cases reported in the U.S. since measles was eliminated in 2000.
- New Hampshire hepatitis A outbreak: Increases ‘concerning’, 1st death reported
- Metabiota Launches New Epidemic Tracker Website
- Malaria: Mass drug administration (MDA) can grant herd protection, according to study
- Lab Week 2019 with Dr Rodney Rohde
- Las Vegas area syphilis rate highest in country, Congenital syphilis increasing at an ‘alarming rate’
- Frozen Raw Tuna Salmonella Outbreak and Recall
- Cytomegalovirus, the RUSP and the National CMV Foundation
- Earth’s Virology Professor: Vincent Racaniello, PhD