By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
In a follow-up on the dengue fever outbreak in Paraguay, the Ministry of Health now reports 35,801 suspect cases through the fourth week of 2020, three times the number of cases reported in all of 2019 (11,811). 927 cases are confirmed.
All neighborhoods in Asunción register notifications of suspicious cases, to a greater extent in Barrio Obrero, San Vicente, Saxony, Zeballos Cué, Holy Trinity and Republican. More than half of these neighborhoods (54.4%) have dengue. Circulation of DEN-4 is verified in 35 neighborhoods and cocirculation of DEN-2 and DEN-4, in the Botanic and Bella Vista neighborhoods.
The spread of the Dengue virus in the Central department reaches 17 of the 19 districts. Serotype 4 is located in Areguá, Capiatá, Fernando de la Mora, Itá, Itauguá, Guarambaré, JA Saldívar, Lambaré, Limpio, Luque, Ñemby, San Antonio, San Lorenzo, Villa Elisa, Nueva Italia and Ypané. While Mariano shows cocirculation of both serotypes.
In the rest of the national territory there is evidence of increased notifications in Paraguarí, San Pedro Sur, Caaguazú, Guairá, Misiones, Caazapá and Alto Paraguay.
Seventy-five percent of the cases have been reported in Asunción and Central. Four deaths have been reported nationally.
In Paraguay, two serotypes are circulating: DEN-2 and DEN-4 (predominant serotype).
- California reports 3rd novel coronavirus case, Public Health Emergency declared in US
- Institut Pasteur isolates strains of coronavirus 2019-nCoV detected in France
- CDC travel notice for Benin: Meningococcal disease outbreak
- Japan reports 3rd locally acquired 2019-nCoV case, this case from Chiba
- Coronavirus vaccine program initiated by Vaxart
- Novel coronavirus: Italy declares state of emergency, 1st cases confirmed
- India: 1st novel coronavirus reported in Kerala
- Thailand novel coronavirus case count now 19, 1st locally acquired case