By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Eight additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases were reported last week–five for 2019 and three for 2020–in Pakistan. The cases were reported from Punjab province (2), Sindh province (4) and one each from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan.
This brings the number of cases in 2020 to 7 and 144 for 2019 in Pakistan.
A number of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) cases were reported from Angola and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Eight cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) were reported this week: four from Bié province, one each from Malanje and Cuanza Norte provinces and two from Luanda. There were 111 cVDPV2 cases from seven outbreaks reported in 2019.
Five cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) were reported this week in DRC: one each from Kwilu, Kongo Central and Kinshasa provinces and two from Sankuru, bringing the total number of 2019 cases to 82. The isolated virus in Kinshasa is linked to a strain currently circulating in neighboring Angola.
The case in Kinshasa, a city of nearly 12 million people, is the first in the city.
- Lassa fever: Nigeria reports another 104 confirmed cases
- Hong Kong records 3 additional local 2019-nCoV infections, China update
- Philippines reports 3rd novel coronavirus case
- Princess Cruises: 10 confirmed novel coronavirus cases reported on Diamond Princess vessel
- Novel coronavirus: FDA issues Emergency Use Authorization for the first diagnostic test
- Early spread of coronavirus extends far beyond China’s quarantine zone: University of Texas at Austin researchers
- Hendra and Nipah virus treatment found safe and effective in Phase I clinical trial
- 2019 Novel coronavirus update: Hong Kong death, Thailand cases rise
- Liberia reports increase in Lassa fever