The Romania Ministry of Health reported (computer translated) an additional 19 meningitis / meningo-encephalitis with West Nile virus (WNV) have been confirmed in the past week, bringing the total cases for the year to 215.
The new cases were reported in Bucharest (5), Iasi County (3), two cases each in Bacău, Bihor and Dolj counties and one case in Caraş Severin, Prahova, Galati, Vaslui and Suceava.
According to the ministry, of the 215 human cases, 25 deaths (nearly 12 percent) have been reported in patients with co-morbidity. 28 percent of the fatalities have been reported in Bucharest.
In Europe this year to date, 1,134 human cases and 115 deaths have been reported.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis: Threefold increase in South-East England since 2011
- Ukraine measles update: 30,744 cases in 2018 to date
- Italy: Public health cuts ‘strongly linked’ to the resurgence of measles, according to study
- Sweden E. coli update: 80 confirmed cases
- England reports imported MERS case
- Measles in Europe: ‘We are seeing a dramatic increase in infections and extended outbreaks’