The Institute of Public Health of Serbia reported this week on the measles situation in the country. From Oct. 2017 through June 21, 2018, 5,598 measles cases were recorded, of which 2837 were laboratory confirmed at the Torlak Institute.
During this time, 15 measles related deaths were registered.
Thirty-three percent of the patients required hospitalization and of the complications associated with measles–565 people had pneumonia and two cases of encephalitis.
The majority of patients are in age groups younger than five and over 30 years of age and 95 percent of thoses infected were either unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or unknown vaccine status.
- Netherlands: Researchers expect half the annual tick bites in June and July
- Reunion dengue epidemic tops 5,000 cases for the year
- Belmont Park worker dies of suspected hantavirus: New York health officials
- Holland America’s cruise ship, ‘Zaandam’, hit with outbreak, investigation ongoing
- Mosquito-borne parasite, Dirofilaria repens, found migrating in woman’s face
- Polio news: cVDPV1 confirmed in Papua New Guinea
- California: More Newcastle Disease cases confirmed in San Bernardino County birds