The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) two new confirmed human rabies cases from KwaZulu-Natal province since our last report, bringing the total to 19 human cases in South Africa through December 14 (Eastern Cape (n=9), KwaZuluNatal (n=6) and Limpopo (n=4) provinces).
In addition, four probable rabies cases were reported from KwaZulu-Natal (n=3) and the Eastern Cape (n=1) provinces.
The two new confirmed cases are young boys from eThekwini. The first case involved a 10-year-old boy, reporting a dog bite on the leg in August 2021. The second case involved an 11-year-old boy. No dog bites or other animal exposures were reported in this case, but the area is amidst a marked outbreak of rabies in dogs.
Rabies is preventable in humans with prompt rabies postexposure prophylaxis (PEP). For the 23 rabies cases (19 laboratory-confirmed and 4 probable) reported in 2021 to date, several issues in the delivery of rabies PEP were noted.
For 14 cases (60.9%) apparently, no post-exposure intervention was sought. For nine cases, about a third of cases, post-exposure intervention was noted, but with deviation from recommendations: no rabies immunoglobulin (RIG) provided and series of four vaccinations not completed (n=3, 33.3%); no RIG but full course of vaccination (n=1, 11.1%); or received RIG but not full course of vaccination (n=2, 22.2%).
For three cases (33.3%) both RIG and full course of vaccination was provided; for two of these cases, facial wounds were reported. For most cases, the course on wound treatment was not available for analysis. Rabies PEP is considered a lifesaving intervention when provided appropriately and according to international guidelines.
Check out our World Rabies Day 2021 Livestream:
- São Paulo reports more than 139K dengue cases in 2021
- Philippines: Health officials call on parents to get their children vaccinated, Warns of ’13 life-threatening diseases’
- South Africa Omicron study: Early analyses suggest a reduced risk of hospitalization
- Viking Sea outbreak update: Vibrio and E. coli reported as causative agents
- Fresh Express Salad Listeria Outbreak
- Ethiopia: River blindness interrupted in more areas of Oromia
- FDA grants emergency use for COVID-19 pill, Paxlovid
- Canada Salmonella outbreak linked to frozen whole kernel corn
- Maniema province monkeypox outbreak: WHO details