In a follow-up on the measles outbreak in South Africa, health officials in the country now report 169 cases of laboratory-confirmed measles from 11 October to 07 December 2022 across 4 provinces: North West, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, and Gauteng.
In Limpopo, 98 cases of laboratory-confirmed measles were reported from 11 October to 07 December 2022, with the majority of the measles cases reported in the Greater Sekhukhune and Mopani districts.
The age of measles cases across Limpopo ranged from 4 months to 42 years. Measles virus infection affected mostly the age group 5-9 years. Of the 98 measles cases, 76 had an unknown vaccination status, 10 were vaccinated, and 12 were unvaccinated.
In Mpumalanga province, 50 cases of laboratory-confirmed measles have been reported since the measles outbreak was declared in Mpumalanga province on 11 November to 07 December 2022.
The age of cases across Mpumalanga ranged from 4 months to 18 years. The most affected age group by the measles outbreak is 5-9 years. Of the 50 cases, 31 had an unknown vaccination status, 8 were vaccinated and 11 were unvaccinated.
An outbreak was declared in North West province on 02 December 2022 after three laboratory-confirmed cases were reported in Ngaka Modiri Molema district. A total of 13 cases have been reported in North West since week 40. Laboratory-confirmed cases fall into the 1-4 and 5-9 year age groups. Three cases were not vaccinated and 10 had unknown vaccination statuses.
An outbreak was declared in Gauteng province on 06 December 2022 after three laboratory-confirmed cases were reported at a single health facility in Ekurhuleni district. These three cases fell into the 5-9 year age group. All three cases had an unknown vaccination status. A case was reported in early October in Ekurhuleni district in a different area that was not epidemiologically linked to the other three cases. In total 8 cases have been reported since week 40, all with unknown vaccination statuses.
- Horse botulism outbreak update; FDA issues warning about Alfalfa Cubes
- India reports more than 10,000 confirmed measles cases through December 12
- Mexico: Malaria outbreak reported in Oaxaca
- Lyme disease: Novel investigative oral therapeutic trials show positive topline results
- El Salvador reports a tripling of dengue cases in 2022
- Panama reports first malaria death of 2022 in Guna Yala region
- Liberia reports 7 Lassa fever outbreaks in 2022
- Lassa fever case confirmed in Guinea
- Rift Valley fever case confirmed in Senegal