Visiting Scientist at the University of Guelph, Jason “The Germ Guy” Tetro, joined me on the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show to discuss mumps and the reasons it has made a comeback.
Jason gives a thorough talk on mumps and goes on explain the situation in Toronto and how that outbreak is being dealt with–by the public and by health officials.
He goes on to talk about why mumps has seen a resurgence, as he explains in his recent article in Huffington Post Canada, “The trouble wasn’t due to the vaccine. Instead, it was virus. It had changed.”
Many universities that have experienced mumps outbreaks recently have recommended a 3rd booster dose of the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine. When asked if there is evidence showing the 3rd vaccine is effective, Tetro answers unequivocally, “Yes”, and explains.
Listen to the interview below:
Check out Jason Tetro’s books below, I’m sure you’ll enjoy them.
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- The dark side of strep throat: What is necrotizing faciitis?
- Nova Scotia reports travel-associated measles case
- Canada: More E. coli O121 cases in British Columbia, Toronto mumps cases grow
Listen to other interviews:
- Baylisascaris: An interview with Dr. Kevin Kazacos
- Vaccines, the WI-38 cell strain and 10 million lives saved: A conversation with Dr. Leonard Hayflick
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome: Tampa woman tells her story
- Podcast: Dr Rodney Rohde discusses Medical Laboratory Science for the hour
- Mumps: An interview with Dr Dirk Haselow
- Legionnaires’ disease: An interview with Dr. Mark Edwards and Sarah Ferrari
- Rabies: A comprehensive interview with Pamela Wilson
- Bioterrorism: An interview with Lawrence Roberge, PhD
- Lyme disease Q & A with Dr. Paul Auwaerter
- Zika virus: A virologist’s viewpoint
- Blood Clots: An interview with Dr. Jack Ansell