The Ministry of Health (Minsa) , through the National Center for Epidemiology, Prevention and Disease Control (CDC-Peru) , reported that, until Epidemiological Week (SE) 24-2023, 13,819 episodes of pneumonia and 44 595 of Bronchial Obstructive Syndrome (OBS)/Asthma in children under 5 years of age.
Since the first week of April, there has been a sustained increase in cases, expected for the cold season (April to September). 30.7% of pneumonia cases have been hospitalized and, unfortunately, 104 deaths are reported, mainly in the departments of Loreto (15.4%), Junín (10.6%) and La Libertad (8.7%).
So far in 2023, cases of type A and B influenza have been identified. Of the positive cases of influenza A, 65.2% are influenza A (H1N1), 7.8% influenza A (H3N2) and 27.0% are not. subtyped. While of the positive cases of influenza B, 62% are of influenza B Victoria lineage and 38% of undetermined lineage.
As of the month of May, an increase in Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) is observed. In addition, 302 positive cases of Other Respiratory Viruses (OVR) are reported. Of these, 83.8% correspond to RSV, 6.3% to Parainfluenza3, 4.6% to Metapneumovirus, 2.0% to Rhinovirus, and 1.7% to Adenovirus.
Likewise, there is a report of 302 positive cases to OVR. Of these, 83.8% correspond to RSV, 6.3% to Parainfluenza3, 4.6% to Metapneumovirus, 2% to Rhinovirus, and 1.7% to Adenovirus.
The CDC Peru issued an epidemiological alert (AE-CDC-Nº12-2023), in order to strengthen epidemiological surveillance, prevention and control of Acute Respiratory Infections (ARIs), covid-19, influenza, and other respiratory viruses. To date, no hospital saturation has been observed due to these events.
The Health sector recommends that the population take preventive measures into account, such as hand washing, the use of masks in closed spaces, self-isolation when respiratory signs and symptoms occur (cough, fever, general malaise, headache, and others). and go immediately to the health facility if they have respiratory distress (shortness of breath).
- Poland: Nine cats test positive for H5N1 avian influenza
- South Africa cholera update: Nearly 200 lab confirmed cases
- Florida: 4 local malaria cases in Sarasota County prompts statewide mosquito-borne illness advisory
- Links between dengue, Zika and pregnancy complications: Researchers
- Los Angeles reports ‘concerning increase’ in mpox cases
- Sri Lanka dengue cases near 48,000, The island’s dengue history
- Iraq reports more than 250 Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever cases year to date
- Japan reports death from Oz virus in woman in 2022