The Taiwan Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Tuesday there were 469 new local cases of dengue fever in Taiwan last week (from August 8 to August 14, 2023)–this includes the first local cases in Taipei City, Hsinchu City, and Changhua County.
To date, there have been a total of 1,579 local cases in Taiwan, including 1,310 in Tainan City, 175 in Yunlin County, 58 in Kaohsiung City, 20 in Pingtung County, 5 each in Taichung City and Chiayi County, 2 in Nantou County, One case each in Taipei City, Hsinchu City, Miaoli County, and Changhua County.
This year, there are 10 severe cases and one death reported.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reminded that the climate in various places has been hot and rainy recently, which is conducive to the breeding of vector mosquitoes and the spread of diseases. In addition, during the summer vacation, people travel frequently to and from various places, and there is a risk of dengue fever in all counties and cities.
“Pour, clean, and brush”, inspect the surrounding environment inside and outside the house to see if there is stagnant water, and pour out the stagnant water; the wall of the water storage container should be cleaned at least once a week, and please turn it upside down or clear it when not in use, so as to reduce the breeding of vector mosquitoes; Please wear light-colored long-sleeved underwear during outdoor activities, and use mosquito repellents approved by government agencies containing active ingredients such as DEET, Picaridin or IR-3535 to avoid mosquito bites. People with a recent history of activities in endemic areas should seek medical attention as soon as possible if they develop suspected symptoms of dengue fever, such as fever, headache, posterior orbital pain, muscle and joint pain, and inform the doctor of their travel history and activity history. Doctors should also ask the doctor to implement TOCC and raise awareness of notifications , timely use dengue fever NS1 rapid screening reagents to assist in the diagnosis, and please pay attention to whether the patient has dengue fever warning signs, including abdominal pain and tenderness, persistent vomiting, mucosal bleeding, lethargy and restlessness, etc., and give appropriate medical treatment.
- North Macedonia reports 3rd Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever case
- Florida: Additional local dengue transmission in Miami-Dade County, West Nile virus case in Escambia County
- Nevada: Hantavirus case confirmed in Washoe County
- Co-infection by novel species of parasite is confirmed in visceral leishmaniasis patient
- Bubonic plague cases reported in North China’s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region
- Measles cases top 3,000 in Kazakhstan
- South Korea issues warning about dengue and other mosquito-borne infectious diseases when traveling abroad
- Thailand dengue update, 1st monkeypox death