Officials with the Arizona Department of Health Services reported today on the 20th confirmed case of measles associated with the private detention facility in Eloy.
Health authorities report that the following areas and dates and times as potential exposure areas:
- Sunday, June 19, 2016
- Boston’s, 804 N Cacheris Court, Casa Grande, AZ 85122, from 12 to 3:30 p.m.
- Walmart, 1741 E Florence Blvd, Casa Grande, AZ 85122, from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
- Sam’s Club, 2425 E Florence Blvd, Casa Grande, AZ 85194, from 2 to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, June 18, 2016
- Earnhardt Toyota Scion, 6136 E Auto Loop Ave, Mesa, AZ 85206, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- American Furniture Warehouse, 4700 S Power Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85296, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Measles or rubeola, is an acute highly communicable viral disease that is characterized by Koplik spots in the cheek or tongue very early in the disease. A couple of days later a red blotchy rash appears first on the face, and then spreads, lasting 4-7 days. Other symptoms include fever, cough and red watery eyes. The patient may be contagious from four days prior to the rash appearance to four days after rash appearance.
The disease is more severe in infants and adults. Complications from measles which is reported in up to 20% of people infected include; seizures, pneumonia, deafness and encephalitis.