According to the International Federation of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the current outbreak was first reported in January 2022. Its confirmation took 3 weeks due to limited capacity in the remote areas affected and the fact that that region has not traditionally been affected by yellow fever in the past.
On 4 March 2022, Kenya declared an outbreak of yellow fever in Isiolo County. As of 10 March 2022, there are a total of 15 suspect cases of yellow fever including four deaths reported from 12 January to 23 February 2022 in eight villages within three sub county of Isiolo county.
Before the ongoing outbreak, there was a reported yellow fever outbreak thirty years ago in 1992-1993 in the Kerio Valley. There were 55 persons with hemorrhagic fever (HF) from the affected 3 districts (Baringo, Keiyo South, and Marakwet West) in the period of September 10, 1992, through March 11, 1993 (attack rate = 27.4/100,000 population). Twenty-six (47%) of the 55 persons had serologic evidence of recent yellow fever infection, and three of these persons were also confirmed by yellow fever virus isolation. There was a total of 34 fatalities from this outbreak.
As a response, the Ministry of Health is initiating a national vaccination campaign starting with Wajir, Garissa, Marsabit, Meru, Samburu, Elgeyo Marakwet, Baringo, West Pokot, Turkana, Mandera, and Tana River. Yellow fever vaccine is an effective public health prevention intervention and is offered as a scheduled routine vaccine for children aged 09 months in 4 counties in Kenya (Elgeyo Marakwet, West Pokot, Turkana, and Baringo). However, the yellow fever vaccine can be given to 09 months-60 years during supplementary immunization activities.
Chikungunya outbreak has been reported in Wajir County, Tarbaj sub county in Kutulo village. A total of forty four (44) cases have been reported with two (2) confirmed cases.
The last outbreak reported cases in mid-2016 first occurred in Mandera and later spread to other counties including Mombasa between late 2017 and mid-2018, and a Chikungunya fever outbreak occurred in Mombasa. Wajir’s county is neighboring the county of Mandera, and the actual outbreak remains a risk for the same Mandera and Mombasa even if cases are not declared for the moment in those counties.
- Timor-Leste dengue outbreak: 3700 cases, 44 deaths through 1st three months
- DRC: 11,735 cases of tuberculosis detected in Kasai in 2021
- Paraná: Toledo reports huge increase in dengue in recent weeks
- Philippines: Rabies deaths up 157% in Northern Mindanao, Most in Bukidnon
- Syphilis cases up 300% in Centre County, Pennsylvania
- Utah confirms first case of COVID-19 in mule deer
- Measles outbreak declared in South Sudan
- MERS coronavirus case confirmed in Qatar
- Pennsylvania: H5N1 avian influenza detected in bald eagle in Chester County
- Spain: 50,000-plus people live with Chagas disease, according to ISGlobal estimates