In a follow-up on the measles epidemic in Ukraine, health officials are reporting an additional 2,175 cases during the week ending Apr. 27. The new cases were evenly divided between adults and children.
Kharkiv, Kyiv and Ternopil regions reported the most cases last week.
Since the beginning of the year, the Center for Public Health of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine has reported 43,783 measles cases.
In addition, last week another person died from complications of measles. The victim is a 12 year old girl who could not be vaccinated due to contraindications to the vaccine. This is the 16th fatality in 2019 to date.
Health officials remind the public to get their children and selves vaccinated as this is the only reliable protection against measles.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV
- Diphtheria cases up in Thailand
- Rift Valley fever: Four more human cases in Mayotte
- Finland reports two imported measles cases
- President Trump promotes vaccines amid measles outbreak
- After 71 cases, four months and $864,679, Vancouver measles outbreak declared over
- Florida hepatitis A outbreak tops 1500 cases
- Measles cases top 700, Agency heads reinforce confidence in vaccines
- Ebola outbreak: 43 additional deaths among confirmed cases over the weekend