Officials in Myanmar have recorded 7,835 cases of dengue fever and 31 deaths in the first half of 2022, according to a Siasat Daily report.
Ayeyarwady, Yangon, Bago and Tanintharyi, and Mon state regions saw the most cases.
This compares with 5,446 cases of dengue fever and 36 deaths reported in 2021.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Hantavirus: A total of 17 cases have been reported in Panama in 2022
- Panama: Miltefosine treatment for leishmaniasis
- Measles in the DRC: More than 2,500 cases including 20 deaths recorded in Kasaï-Oriental
- Philippines dengue cases near 74,000 year to date
- Burkholderia pseudomallei, the agent of melioidosis, identified in environmental samples in Mississippi
- Ghana Marburg Virus Disease outbreak rises to 4 cases
- France monkeypox tally eclipses 1800 cases
- Ho Chi Minh City reports 294% increase in dengue fever cases in 2022
One thought on “Myanmar records nearly 8,000 dengue cases in first half of 2022”