By NewsDesk @bactiman63
Health officials in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur district have reported 30 additional confirmed Zika virus (ZIKV) cases yesterday. This brings the case count to 66 in the district.
Of the latest cases three are women and 27 are men.
The first Zika case was reported on October 23 in a Indian Air Force member.
In addition to the cases in UP, Kerala state has now reported 90 total cases. The first case in this outbreak was confirmed on July 8.
Zika virus is transmitted via the bite from the Aedes mosquito. The World Health Organization says protection against mosquito bites during the day and early evening is a key measure to prevent Zika virus infection. Special attention should be given to the prevention of mosquito bites among pregnant women, women of reproductive age, and young children.
Aedes mosquitoes breed in small collections of water around homes, schools, and workplaces. It is important to eliminate these mosquito breeding sites by appropriate methods, including: covering water storage containers, removing standing water in flower pots, and cleaning up trash and used tires. Community initiatives are essential to support local government and public health programmes to reduce mosquito breeding sites. Health authorities may also advise the use of larvicides and insecticides to reduce mosquito populations and disease spread. Semi-urban areas should prevent the breeding of Aedes spp., in rubber plantations and other stagnant pools of water.
Basic precautions for protection from mosquito bites should be taken by people traveling to high-risk areas, especially pregnant women. These include the use of repellents, wearing light coloured, long-sleeved shirts and pants, ensuring rooms are fitted with screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering.
For regions with active transmission of ZIKV, all persons with suspected ZIKV infection and their sexual partners (particularly pregnant women) should receive information about the risks of sexual transmission of ZIKV.
- H5N6 avian influenza in China: CDC ongoing global monitoring
- Melioidosis bacterial strain in Aromatherapy Room Spray matches four patients, Confirmed by whole genome sequencing
- Rabies: 3 additional human cases reported in South Africa
- South Africa reports 1st Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever case of 2021
- DRC Ebola outbreak rises to 8 cases, 6 deaths
- India Newswire: Zika in UP, Kyasanur Forest disease in Kerala and Anthrax in Telangana
- Japan: Tokyo reports lowest COVID-19 case count of the year