According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), on any given day, about one in 25 hospital patients has at least one healthcare-associated infection (HAI). Clearly, HAIs are a huge problem and although significant progress has made in preventing some infection types, there is much more work to be done.
I was joined by Chair & Professor of Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS) and the Associate Dean for Research, College of Health Professions at Texas State University, Rodney Rohde, PhD on the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show for the full hour to discuss a myriad of topics concerning HAIs.
Topics covered include an insight into how big the problem is in the US, the types of infections and what procedures carry the most risk.
In addition, Dr. Rohde addressed specifically some of the most common and well known microbes that are implicated in HAIs–MRSA, Clostridium difficile (C. diff or CDI) and the issues with the emergence of multi-drug resistant gram negative bacilli infections like Klebsiella pneumoniae.
Other topics discussed include antibiotic stewardship and things the patient can do or ask about to keep informed and protected.
LISTEN to the complete interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
Subscribe, listen, follow and comment on the podcasts at iTunes and Stitcher Radio
- Antibiotic resistant bacterial infection, bacteriophage therapy and an amazing story
- Dr. Mike Osterholm discusses infectious diseases and his new book ‘Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs’
- Chagas disease: An interview with Patricia Dorn, PhD
- Treating recurrent C. diff with freeze-dried FMT: An interview with Dr Herbert DuPont
- Vaccines, the WI-38 cell strain and 10 million lives saved: A conversation with Dr. Leonard Hayflick
- Baylisascaris: An interview with Dr. Kevin Kazacos
- Leprosy research to look at the role of ticks as vectors of disease
- Lyme disease expert talks diagnosis, treatment and ‘chronic Lyme’
- Legionnaires’ disease: An interview with Dr. Mark Edwards and Sarah Ferrari
- Rabies: A comprehensive interview with Pamela Wilson
- Bioterrorism: An interview with Lawrence Roberge, PhD
- Amoeba awareness: Naegleria fowleri
- Vaccines: An interview with Dr. Paul Offit
More from Professor Rohde:
- ACC Globalization & Diseases
- The hidden profession that saves lives
- Saving Lives in the Shadows of Healthcare | Rodney E. Rohde | TEDxTexasStateUniversity
- Research Gate
- Stewards Working to Save Antibiotics: Pharmacy & The Medical Laboratory
- Two Laboratory Tests you Must Demand: Advice from MRSA Survivors and a Scientist