In the first eight months of 2022, Vietnam had 40 human rabies deaths. Although the number of deaths from rabies in some provinces decreased significantly, the number of deaths still increased compared to the previous period.
Despite some progress over the past 10 years, Vietnam continues to report between 70 and 100 deaths from rabies each year.
The number of deaths from rabies in some provinces has decreased significantly, but the number of deaths from 2017 to 2021 is still increased in 20 provinces compared with the period 2011-2016.
In order to actively prevent rabies, the Department of Preventive Medicine, the Ministry of Health recommends that people take the following measures:
1. Fully vaccinated dogs and cats and annual booster vaccinations as recommended by the veterinary industry.
2. Do not let dogs and cats loose; Dogs on the street must wear a muzzle.
3. Do not play, tease dogs and cats.
4. When bitten, scratched or licked by a dog or cat:
– Wash the wound thoroughly with water and strong soap continuously for 15 minutes, if soap is not available, flush the wound with clean water – this is an effective first aid measure to reduce the risk of rabies when infected.
– Then continue to wash the wound with 70% alcohol, iodine alcohol or Povidone, Iodine.
– Limit bruising and do not cover the wound.
– Go to the nearest medical center for advice and timely rabies vaccination. Only vaccination can prevent rabies.
– Absolutely do not self-treat and do not ask a healer to cure rabies.
- Dengue: 3 more locally acquired cases reported in Miami-Dade County
- North Carolina reports increase in West Nile virus cases
- Michigan reports 3rd EEE case in a horse
- South Dakota reports anthrax from cows in Meade County
- DRC declares end to 15th Ebola outbreak
- Minnesota reports measles outbreak, 10 travel-related cases confirmed since June
- Uganda Health Minister: ‘As of today, there is no confirmed case of Ebola in Kampala’
- Wisconsin reports 1st human West Nile virus case of 2022
- Vietnam: Mucormycosis cases at Hanoi hospital