We all love a good book and on the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, I spend most of the hour discussing a fantastic new book on infectious diseases, outbreaks, epidemiologic investigations and not just what the issues are, but also the solutions.
The book is Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs by Michael Osterholm, PhD, MPH and Mark Olshaker.
Co-author and Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, or CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota, Dr Mike Osterholm joined me for a great discussion.
While the book covers many important topics, we looked at issues of bioterrorism, vaccines and pandemic influenza among others.
A great storyteller with vast experience in infectious disease epidemiology, Osterholm covered these topics with zeal, knowledge and never pulling any punches.
One of the highlights for me was hearing the back-story on the Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) outbreak from the late 70s/early 80s, in which Dr Osterholm was intimately involved.
LISTEN to the full interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
Other interviews of interest:
- Chagas disease: An interview with Patricia Dorn, PhD
- Mumps: Canada, the virus and the vaccine and why the comeback
- Baylisascaris: An interview with Dr. Kevin Kazacos
- Dr. Peter Hotez discusses his new book, ‘Blue Marble Health’
- Lyme disease expert talks diagnosis, treatment and ‘chronic Lyme’
- Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism: An interview with Dr. Jack Ansell
- Leprosy: An interview with Dr Richard Truman
- Zika virus: An interview with Dr Scott Weaver
- Vaccines, the WI-38 cell strain and 10 million lives saved: A conversation with Dr. Leonard Hayflick
- Mumps: An interview with Dr Dirk Haselow
- Legionnaires’ disease: An interview with Dr. Mark Edwards and Sarah Ferrari
- Rabies: A comprehensive interview with Pamela Wilson
- Bioterrorism: An interview with Lawrence Roberge, PhD
- Amoeba awareness: Naegleria fowleri
- Vaccines: An interview with Dr. Paul Offit
- Outbreak News Radio: Parasitic meningitis and Naegleria fowleri
- Outbreak News Radio: Chagas disease in North America
- Outbreak News Radio: Plague in NM and Vibrio in Florida
- Outbreak News Radio: ‘Cannibal sandwiches’ and chikungunya